One MBA, Two Paths
The paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources; but only students who enter in August will be able to complete a summer internship. January (J-Term) students, having completed their first-term courses in the spring, will instead complete their second-term course work over the summer.
August 2021 Entry Application Deadlines
|Early Decision||October 2, 2020|
|Merit Fellowship||January 6, 2021|
|Regular Decision||June 1, 2021|
January 2021 Entry Application Deadline
|Regular Decision||October 2, 2020|
About 70 percent of our full-time MBA students begin their studies in the fall term. After mandatory orientation in the second half of August, regular classes begin in September. Most August-entry students complete a summer internship between their second and third terms.
The August entry has two application review periods — Early Decision and Regular Decision. Because we use a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.
- Available for August entry applicants only.
- Application deadline in early October.
- Early Decision applications are reviewed, and decisions rendered, before Regular Decision applications.
- Admitted students for Early Decision are considered for merit-based awards.
- Candidates have decided that Columbia is their first choice and must sign the following Statement of Commitment within their applications: I am committed to attending Columbia Business School and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.
- Applicants must submit a nonrefundable US $6,000 tuition deposit within two weeks of admission.
- Candidates may submit Regular Decision applications as soon as the application becomes available in the summer.
- Regular Decision applications are reviewed after Early Decision applications.
- No Statement of Commitment is required.
- For priority consideration of merit-based fellowships, applications should be submitted by the specified merit-based fellowship deadline in early January.
- Final application deadline is typically in April.
Students who do not want or need an internship may consider beginning their MBA studies in January and completing their second semester of classes during the summer. A January start may be ideal for students who wish to remain in the same industry after graduation or pursue entrepreneurial interests. About 30 percent of our students enter in January.