One MBA, Two Paths
The paths are identical in terms of competitiveness of admissions, academic rigor, and student resources; but only students who enter in August will be able to complete a summer internship. January (J-Term) students, having completed their first-term courses in the spring, will instead complete their second-term course work over the summer.
August 2023 Entry Application Deadlines
|Early Decision||September 28, 2022|
|Merit Fellowship||January 11, 2023|
|Regular Decision||April 5, 2023|
January 2023 Entry Application Deadline
|Regular Decision||September 28, 2022|
About 70 percent of our full-time MBA students begin their studies in the fall term. After mandatory orientation in the second half of August, regular classes begin in September. Most August-entry students complete a summer internship between their second and third terms.
The August entry has two application review periods — Early Decision and Regular Decision. Because we use a rolling admissions process, it is always to your advantage to apply well before the deadline.
- Available for August entry applicants only.
- Application deadline in late September.
- Early Decision applications are reviewed, and decisions rendered, before Regular Decision applications.
- Admitted students for Early Decision are considered for merit-based awards.
- Candidates have decided that Columbia is their first choice and must sign the following Statement of Commitment within their applications: I am committed to attending Columbia Business School and will withdraw all applications and decline all offers from other schools upon admission to Columbia Business School.
- Applicants must submit a nonrefundable US $6,000 tuition deposit within two weeks of admission.
- Candidates may submit Regular Decision applications as soon as the application becomes available in the summer.
- Regular Decision applications are reviewed after Early Decision applications, which typically begins in late November.
- No Statement of Commitment is required.
- For priority consideration of merit-based fellowships, applications should be submitted by the specified merit-based fellowship deadline in early January.
- Final application deadline is typically in April.
Students who do not want or need a summer internship may consider beginning their MBA studies in January and completing their second semester of classes during the summer. A January start may be ideal for students who wish to remain in the same industry after graduation or pursue entrepreneurial interests. About 30 percent of our students enter in January.